Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Alaska… A Dream Come True

Now that our trip has come to an end I must share some of
the highlights of our fantastic vacation.
Taking a helicopter to the top of a glacier. Dogsledding with the most beautiful dogs in the world in Juneau. Canoeing through the rainforest in Ketchikan. Watching the salmon swim upstream in Skagway and riding bikes through the rainforest with Mr. and Mrs. Smith. Seeing magnificent whales from our ship that you can almost touch. Standing in front of the largest glacier in the world…73 miles long, in Hubbard Bay. Drinking good wine, eating delicious food, and meeting interesting people from all over the world. Does life get better than this? I don’t think so. One of the things that blew me away during our tour of the galley was seeing how each appetizer and entrée comes out in such a timely manner. In the 8 days I was there I didn’t have to send anything back. Maybe that’s because I ordered three appetizers, three entrees and three desserts. But don’t tell anybody. Let’s put it this way…everyone in the kitchen knew me. Thank you Guido for the most magnificent food!

Other fun and interesting moments were singing karaoke with the cruise director, winning $132.00 playing bingo. We joined the game 5 minutes before it ended and covered the entire card. Well it was Rick’s card. The last time I played Bingo was with my mom, may she rest in peace at the Bingo hall on Nostrand Ave. in Brooklyn when I was 12 years old.
Rick dared me to kiss a banana slug in Ketchikan so of course after our tour guide said it was good luck I did it. First Ashley kissed it and then I got up the nerve to do it. We won Bingo the following day. Sex on the ship…a bit rocky but great! Just thought I’d throw that in there. They should definitely invent a drink SEX ON A SHIP! I fell in love with my honey all over again. The greatest part about being on the ship was if we had an argument he couldn’t go anywhere.

I loved dining at one of the local eateries in Sitka, eating a 2 pound Alaskan King Crab all by myself and having an Alaskan Ale to go with it. This is something everyone must do while in Alaska. A lady approached me on the ship the next day and said you were the girl who was eating the Alaskan king crab like it was your last meal? Busted!
Seeing local art galleries, charming shops, and jewelry stores at each port was a great way to spend time off the ship.
Loved meeting the crew and entertainers who always had a smile. All in all this was a vacation of a lifetime. I hope my next cruise will be either the French or Italian Riviera.

Until the next time…Bon Voyage!

No comments:

Post a Comment